The History of Television Culture and Production Royal Holloway, University of London
TV has been at the centre of UK popular culture since the 1950s, yet much of its output is inadequately documented and hidden from researchers and potential users. The work of the Centre for the History of Television Culture and Production is to reveal the hidden histories of television.
The aims of our research are to:
- Capture and record TV history before it disappears
- Understand how programmes have been made
- Analyse the programmes that have been produced
- Rediscover neglected works and practices
- Consider thow television has historically been understood and valued
- Examine the strategic, regulatory and cultural imperatives that inform television production.
We pursue these aims aims through critical, historical and practice-based research,collaboration with television partners, the organisation of events and conferences, the publication of books, articles, blogs and policy documents, and the supervision of PhD students.